The Gates Cambridge Scholarship program has been active since October 2000 thanks to a donation of US$210m from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation to the University of Cambridge; this is the largest ever single donation to a British university.
These scholarships are awarded to outstanding applicants from all countries (no UK) to pursue a full-time master’s or doctorate degree in any subject available at the University of Cambridge. The selection criteria are:
- outstanding intellectual ability
- leadership potential
- a commitment to improving the lives of others
- a good fit between the applicant’s qualifications and aspirations and the postgraduate program at Cambridge for which they are applying
- Applicant must be a citizen of any country outside the United Kingdom
- Applicant must be willing to pursue one of the following full-time residential courses of study at the University of Cambridge:
- PhD (three-year research-only degree)
- MSc or MLitt (two-year research-only degree)
- One-year postgraduate course (e.g. MPhil, LLM, MASt, Diploma, MBA)
How to apply
Keep in mind that applicants must apply as a regular candidate as it is a process leaded by the same department. Only when accepted, applicants will be considered for the Gates Cambridge Scholarship program.
To be considered as an applicant, the following file must be provided:
- Graduate Application Form (which includes a Gates Cambridge section)
- Academic transcripts
- 2 academic references
- 1 personal reference (for the Gates Cambridge Scholarship)
- For research based degrees and all PhD applications, applicants for the Gates Cambridge scholarship are asked to upload a research proposal of approximately 1,000 words (excluding references).
It is important to get as much information as possible about the university before applying so it is highly recommended to visit https://www.gatescambridge.org/ so application process can be checked out in detail. Application must be submitted on the same website through the eligibility link: https://www.gatescambridge.org/apply/eligibility
For October 2017 entry: 12 October 2016 (US residents and citizens) and 7 December 2016 (International students).
You may like: